Monday, April 20, 2009

10 Years Ago

10 years ago today I can remember coming home from a normal day in high school and hearing the news of the shooting at Columbine.  The whole idea of these teenagers coming into a school, which should be a safe place, and just obliterating other humans' lives was so mind boggling to me.  The next day at school I had a very different perspective on every student I saw; I started thinking about what I would do if a similar situation were to happen to me.
Only a year after Columbine, I was given the opportunity to pray around the Columbine High School flagpole.  A group from my church, Wedgwood Baptist, stopped in Columbine on the way to our ski trip since we shared a bond with the Columbine students: a shooting happened at our church only months after the Columbine shooting shook our world.  What an amazing experience it was to pray for the healing of the students and teachers of Columbine High School around their very flagpole.  
Today, I pray again for that healing.  I know that anniversaries open nearly healed scars, and I know that sometimes that can hurt worse with time.  I'm thinking of you, Columbine, CO.  

1 comment: